Potrero Chico Gear Beta
Below is a list of gear you’ll need for your trip to Potrero Chico. It’s almost all sport climbing here so you don’t need much. Please remember to tie knots in the ends of your rope and use your helmet. If you hire us as guides we provide everything for our clients, of course you can use your own personal gear if you choose to.
You won’t find “gear shops” here. The few that claim to be don’t have much and what they have is expensive. If you can drive to Monterrey Ratte Gym has a fairly well stocked gear shop with “reasonable” prices.
- 70m Rope (60m just isn’t long enough anymore)
- Climbing Harness Something with padding and extra loops like the Black Diamond Big Gun
- Climbing Shoes Comfortable for multi pitch
- Frank’s GuideBook
- 6 Locking Biners
- 15 Quickdraws Most of the time 12 is enough (If you plan on linking pitches you should double it to 24-30)
- 2 Alpine Style Quickdraws
- 2 Slings 120cm
- Chalk Bag
- Prusik (Use it!)
- Helmet (Use it!)
- ATC Guide Style is preferred
- PAS Like the Metolius Pas or a daisy chain and slings
You’ll need clothes for both warm and cold days. The weather changes a lot and has a wide temperature range.
- Large Backpack
- Small Backpack for climbing
- Comfortable approach shoes (you may want to use them for rappelling)
- Rain Jacket
- Puff Jacket
- Water bottle
- Sunscreen and lip balm
- ClimbOn Hand balm
- First Aid Kit
You can sometimes find camping gear to rent but it’s normally in pretty rough shape. I wouldn’t count on it.
- Tent 3 Season
- Sleeping Bag 30°F
- Therm-a-Rest Type Sleeping Pad
- Towel (Don’t forget this one)
If you think I left out something important leave a comment below.